The role of the Health Care Assistant is to work as part of the care team in the delivery of resident care under the supervision of the Clinical Nurse Manager (CNM) and Staff Nurses. Your primary role is to assist nurses who will prioritise in respect of each resident the work to be undertaken by the Care Assistant.
Previous experience is desirable for this role.
Assist residents with the activities of daily living (ADL’s) whilst maintaining their dignity at all times. The Care Assistant is responsible for:
- Bathing, showering and dressing of patients
- Assisting residents confined to bed with hygiene and toileting needs
- Supervision of residents on commodes, in toilets and bathrooms
- Maintaining Fluid Balance charts, recording and measuring patient’s intake and output, as directed
- Assisting residents with their oral hygiene needs
- Assisting residents to the toilet, promoting continence
- Provide help and support to patients during meal times
- Ensure patients ’dietary needs are adhered to including special diets and supplementary drinks under the direction of the nursing staff.
- Observe all residents in dining area. Report any concerns to staff nurse/CNM.
- Ensure patients are positioned and comfortably in beds and chairs
- Assist patients with walking and limb exercises as directed
- Observe skin for markings or tears, report to registered nurse
- Attend to pressure areas as directed by nursing staff
- Answer call bells and respond to requests as quickly as possible. Check that bells are in working order and within reach of the patient at all times.
- Remain with patients who require supervision, as directed by nurses
- Assist with the disposal of clinical waste
- Make beds and ensure bedrooms are left tidy
- Ensure linen cupboard and store areas are kept clean and tidy
- Attend to spillages immediately to reduce risk of accidents
- Ensure the sluice room, bathrooms and other ancillary rooms are kept clean and tidy
- Report broken items in need of repair to Clinical Nurse Manager
- Report to registered nurse any complaints of pain or distress expressed by residents
- Accompany residents to religious services as they desire
- Promote an ethos of holistic care of residents, assisting and encouraging them to participate in activities as desired
- Report all incidents and accidents involving self, residents or visitors to the staff nurse on duty
- Orientating new residents to the nursing home
- Direct any requests or concerns about residents to the nurse on duty
- Participate in reports, meetings etc in a constructive manner
- Attend all mandatory and other training as requested
- Adhere to infection control practices as advised by CNMs and staff nurses.
Person centred care, Elderly care, Personal Care, Nursing home, Residential Care, Personal Care Assistance
Meals provided, Free on site parking, Uniform provided, Competitive salary, opportunities for career progression