Highfield Healthcare are delighted to invite applications from suitable candidates for the post of Healthcare Assistant. Full-time and bank opportunities are available working across all of our units including Mental Health, Alzheimer’s Care Centre and Nursing Home.
At Highfield Healthcare, Healthcare Assistants are pivotal members of a caring team whose purpose is to assist people to live to their fullest potential. The job is about enabling and supporting individuals, demonstrating at all times a sensitive, understanding and patient approach.
All people in need of caring support have the right to privacy, dignity and choice, to be supported in taking considered risks, and to make decisions about their own lives. Care staff need to respect and show proper regard for each individual’s cultural identity and individual needs and preferences in all aspects of their care, and to help individuals to communicate where there are communication differences or difficulties.
The main duties of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Work at all times in ways which demonstrate an active understanding of the principles of the job as described above, and with appropriate guidance from senior staff.
- Be actively involved in the individuals care and support, helping to plan this, playing an important part in the continuing assessment and review of the individuals needs and progress.
- Give personal, emotional and practical support.
- Actively promote the individuals effective communication and interaction with others.
- Ensure at all times that information about individuals is treated with respect and confidentiality, when receiving information, giving it, storing it and retrieving it.
- Provide physical and personal care when needed , assisting individuals in any aspect of personal care for example bed making , personal laundry, use of the toilet, bathing, eating, drinking and assistance with taking medication.
- Assist individuals develop practical daily living skills.
- Contribute to the overall quality of the service delivery, by working closely with other members of the staff team, helping promote good practice, taking part in staff meetings, and contributing to meeting the objectives of the team.
- Take part in regular supervision meetings and in activities to meet agreed learning and development needs associated with the job.
- Work at all times in accordance with all Hospital Policies and Procedures
- Report immediately any incident of a serious nature.
- Ensure that you do not in any way cause harassment or intimidation to another person.
- Ensure that you do not cause injury, either physical or emotional, to another person or party , through error or intention.
Suitable candidates must:
- Hold a FETAC/QQI Level 5 qualification in Healthcare Support including the Care of the Older Person module
- Be caring, patient, empathetic and have a strong interest in care of the elderly.
- Experience in a similar working environment a distinct advantage.
- Full-time Healthcare Assistants work 7 * 12 hour shifts over a 2 week period. Shifts are both day and night.
- Bank Healthcare Assistants work 6/7 hour or 12 hour shifts according to the demands of the roster.